I need a sun hat for summer and found a new pattern on Ravelry by Joan Beebe, Mother’s Day Hat Pattern. As far as I can tell, it is only available as a free download through Ravelry. Her pattern calls for a bulky weight paper yarn. Yes, that’s right – paper! I do not have anything in my stash that would compare to that, but I really wanted to make the hat. I used TLC Cotton Plus in an olive-green and added a couple increases and a few more rounds to the brim to compensate for the weight of the yarn.
The hat worked up quickly, fits beautifully and I am pleased with the outcome. Only one problem, I am not a hat person and it looked terrible on me. Without using her paper yarn that would have body to it, my hat flopped too much. (See photo to right). I decided to try adding wire around the brim. The only wire I could find that might work was some green floral wire. It is not professional millinery wire, but it worked. (See photos above to left).
After re-trying it on, I like it better, but still not 100% satisfied. It needs something – embelishment of some sort. I found some ribbon and I am thinking of adding that to jazz it up a little. The only other problem is the color I used. I don’t think the dark green was meant to be used for a summer hat. I think I will re-try making the hat using different yarn and a lighter color. I really do like the pattern. I would love to see some other hats made with this pattern.