This week-end I made a cover for the Kitchen-Aid mixer. I used some of the leftover material from my valances and a green print remnant I had on hand. I didn’t have a pattern, so I just did what I do best – wing it! I measured the mixers height, width and length. I cut a rectangle that was a little wider than my measurement and a little long then the mixer was from one side to the other, because quilting the pieces will shrink up the pieces somewhat. I also cut 2 more rectangles that were a little bigger than the width and height of the mixer. I sandwiched my rectangles with a piece of white flannel as the batting and some muslin for the lining, as the inside won’t be shown anyway and then I quilted the pieces with a diagonal cross hatch. I curved the top of the two rectangles for the front and back of the cover and then I used my sewing machine to serge (or rather overcast, as my machine is not a serger) around all of the pieces. I love the overcast foot that I got with my new Janome Horizon 7700. It really does look like I used a real serger.
After a trip to JoAnn’s for some cord to use as piping around, I cut 2 pieces of dark brown to encase the piping in. One of the ladies at my LQS said she uses a zipper foot to do her piping, but a have a piping foot, so why not use it! I did and it worked like a charm. I encased the cord in the brown material, basted it along the edge of my large rectangle, then sewed all layers together. I used the dark brown material for the binding. This was my first attempt at doing any type of piping and I can’t be prouder of my finished project. If I had it to do over I think I could have made it a little bit smaller, but I’d rather have it a little large than not big enough. I will definitely try piping again. Next time on a pillow. Happy Sewing! Kathryn